The National and University Library of Iceland and the Writers' Union of Iceland have established a new poetry book prize entitled Maístjarnan (May Star) that will be awarded annually, for the first time 18 May 2017. Ingibjörg Steinunn Sverrisdóttir National librarian and Kristín Helga Gunnarsdóttir chairman of RSÍ signed an agreement in Gunnar Gunnarsson´s House when the first nominations for the May Star were announced. Nominated are:
- Eyþór Árnason for Ég sef ekki í draumheldum náttfötum, Reykjavík: Veröld
- Magnús Sigurðsson for Veröld hlý og góð: ljóð og prósar, Reykjavík: Dimma
- Sigurður Pálsson for Ljóð muna rödd, Reykjavík: JPV
- Sigurlín Bjarney Gísladóttir for Tungusól og nokkrir dagar í maí, Reykjavík: Mál og menning
- Þórdís Gísladóttir for Óvissustig, Reykjavík: Benedikt
- The nominated books are all on display in the lobby of the National Library.